STEP 2: Preparation of Application

The process of becoming an exchange student consists of two parts: 1) apply at HAN 2) apply at the partner university. In this Journey, Steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 focus on the process at HAN. Steps 5 and 6 focus on the process at the partner university. You will be informed by the HAN when you can apply at the partner university. You are not allowed to apply or contact a partner university before you receive a message from the HAN International Office.

Check with your Senior Study Career Coach in which semester you can go on Study Abroad. This usually is the semester in which you do your minor.

Some partner universities start their semesters in July, August or early January. Check the academic calendar of your study program and of the partner universities you have in mind (see Partner Overview) in order to avoid clashes with semester start/end, exams, internship, etc. Partner universities may require you to be present before classes start, for example during compulsory introduction days.

In your application you give seven preferences for partner universities. Find out which partner universities suit your study program and suit you personally. Check if you can find enough subject there to compose a full minor of 30 EC.

HAN Business has more than 130 partners all over the world. That means we can offer over 500 Study Abroad places! Take a look at the Partner Overview. This overview might show different content during the year. That’s because partnerships may change, new ones may be established, others may end.

Most courses are taught in English. The requirements vary per partner, but most of our partners require that you meet level B2. Check the Partner Overview thoroughly, as some partners ask you to provide an official language certificate from TOEFL or IELTS.

Costs for taking a language test are for your own account.

It is your responsibility to have the correct language level required to take the courses.

Sometimes. Partners may have other requirements like a certain grade point average (GPA). Most of these requirements can be found in the Partner Overview.  Be aware that the partner university or a governmental institution of the country in question may add or change language requirements at any time. And that could mean additional costs.

You have to comply with these requirements before you can start your Study Abroad semester. So make sure you’re aware of these before you put a specific partner as a preference on your application form. 

For your Study Abroad you can apply for grants. Note that you are responsible for applying for these grants on your own.

1. Erasmus Grants (within EU/EER)

The European Union program Erasmus+ supports student exchange in higher education in Europe by providing Erasmus grants. You can apply for this grant if you go on Study Abroad to a country participating in the Erasmus+ program. Find more information on Insite.

If you qualify for an Erasmus grant, you need to complete several forms before, during and after your Study Abroad. The HAN International Office sends you the right forms at the right time. If you don’t complete and/or return these forms in time, you won’t receive a grant.

If you are an international student and you go back to your country of origin, you are not eligible for the Erasmus grant. Still, check Insite International Office for more information.

2. Grants for studying outside the EU/EER

If you choose to study abroad outside the EU/EER, you can apply for a Holland Scholarship. The number of scholarships are much more limited than the Erasmus Grant. Requirements and procedures can be found on Insite.

Other grants might be available. Check for example the Nuffic (Netherlands Organization for International Cooperation in Higher Education -;


Are you applying for Study Abroad in September 2022? List 7 different partner universities. Of these, at least 4 must be located in Europe (all Erasmus countries – see Country Group in 'Amounts' at Insite IO – plus Switzerland and the UK).

Note: More students may choose the same partner university. As places are limited, we cannot guarantee that we can send you an offer to Study Abroad. And, if we can send you an offer, we cannot guarantee that this is one of your preferred partners.


The collaboration between HAN Business and the partner universities is set in an agreement. In this agreement they agree upon a limited number of “Business places” for exchange students they can send and receive every semester/year. Some partners are only able to exchange one student per semester; this means that we only have one Study Abroad place, because they can only receive one student. 

Please check Step 3.1 for the requirements for application to study abroad.

Make sure all your grades are visible in Alluris at the application deadline. Are they not added? Ask the responsible lecturer of the missing grade(s) to add the grade(s) before the deadline. Be specific!

To Do

  1. Check in which semester I can study abroad.
  2. Check all information on my preferred partners in the Partner Overview.
  3. Check if the partner university offers enough subjects.
  4. Check the required languages per course.
  5. Check if the partner university has other requirements.
  6. Check if there is a grant available to me.
  7. Select 7 suitable partner universities of which at least 4 within Europe.
  8. Check if all my grades are visible in Alluris.


Yes? You are ready for Step 3!