STEP 6: Prepare your stay abroad

There is a lot you need to prepare before leaving on your learning adventure abroad. Your SAA organizes a Pre-Departure Meeting to discuss it with you. And to highlight the essentials for you in this step. Your SAA explains all the ins and outs of your chosen study program. And you can ask any questions you still have.

Because of the Coronavirus outbreak, we advise you not to make travel arrangements or other financial commitments long in advance without the possibility of cancelling. Read the information from HAN regarding COVID-19 thoroughly and check regularly for updates. In particular the section on 'What about going abroad ...'.

Not just yet. You’ve passed the partner university’s deadline for submitting your application. But it can take up to eight weeks before the partner informs you or HAN whether or not you’re accepted. Best not to book your flight until you get the partner’s confirmation.

Remember: some partner universities want you to be there before classes start. For example, for compulsory introduction days.

You might need a visa. But this depends on the country you go to. And your nationality. You might need to apply for a visa. So be prepared to put in more time.
Check out the Embassy website of the country you’re going to. Find out what applies to your particular situation. Do you need to apply for a visa? It’s your responsibility to undertake this. And to take into account the time needed to apply. In most cases, you need an official letter of acceptance from the partner university. You can still prepare all the other visa documents you need while you wait to receive that official letter of acceptance. Use your time well!

There are two options:

  1. Sometimes the partner university arranges accommodation. From single rooms in dorms to rooms that are shared with a local student.
  2. Sometimes you have to arrange accommodation yourself. Do this as early as possible! As soon as you receive confirmation from the partner university.

Check the Study Abroad Reports of students who have already gone to that partner university. Your SAA can tell you more about how to find the right accommodation in a certain area.

Because of the Coronavirus outbreak, we advise you not to make travel arrangements or other financial commitments long in advance without the possibility of cancelling. Read the information from HAN regarding COVID-19 thoroughly and check regularly for updates. In particular the section on 'What about going abroad ...'.

You need to take care of the following well in advance of your departure:

  • All the relevant documents signed by the partner university; e.g. your Final Learning Agreement and/or Change form to the Learning Agreement, forms regarding grants, etc.
  • Scholarships
  • Changes in ‘studiefinanciering’/’Ov-chipkaart’ (if applicable)
  • Insurance (health, liability, etc.)
  • Passport/visa regulations
  • Financial matters (bank account, credit card)
  • Residence permit
  • Travel arrangements
  • HAN online Pre-departure form (You will receive an invitation to fill out an online form)  
  • Payment of all accommodation and other costs

Note: this list is non-limitative. Your situation may be different. Which means you may need to undertake additional action. The partner university or a governmental institution of the country in question may add or change requirements at any time during the process of application and/or selection and/or acceptance.

Check out the Insite International Office. They have a checklist you can download to help you prepare your stay abroad.

Want your Study Abroad to be a success? Of course, you do! It helps if you’re already fluent in the language they speak at the partner university. Not yet fluent? Take a language course in the Netherlands to prepare. Look into it at the HAN Language Centre.
Additionally, cultural knowledge is important. Engaging with your host community and culture is central to your Study Abroad experience. Leaves you open to discoveries about yourself and your host country. But remember you get out of your interactions what you put into them. Take the initiative. The process starts long before you arrive in your host country. Learn more about your host university and country. Form a basic understanding of their history and geography. Their social, economic and political systems. This helps you build relationships with local people. And understand the cultural dynamics. So you can interact with your local environment. Meaningfully.

Sure, you’re studying at a partner university abroad. But you still need to stay enrolled as a student of HAN. If you’re not enrolled at HAN, we can’t accept the credits you earn at the partner university. So make sure you re-enroll in Studielink at the beginning of the academic year. And, of course, pay your tuition fees!

First of all, you need to contact your SSCC immediately to discuss your cancellation. Then send an email to Team Outgoing and to your SAA (see Step 1.9). Explain to them why you have to cancel your Study Abroad program. This is the time you talk with your SSCC about other options for your minor.

To Do

  1. Attend The Pre-Departure Meeting.
  2. Book my flight after I got the official acceptance.
  3. Check if I need a visa. If yes, apply for one.
  4. Make sure I have accommodation.
  5. Check the list with other things I need to check.
  6. Learn enough about the language and culture of my host country.
  7. Re-enrol at HAN and pay my tuition fees.
Yes? You are ready for Step 7!